If you like this article, tell a friend!      

Sunday, September 13, 2009

The paradox of choice

Here's a great speech on the paradox of choice (it is also a great book). I think the entrepreneurial spin I would put on it is this: One of the many reasons it is so hard to start a business is because you just don't know what business to start.

I think many people never get started because they have the drive to be their own boss - but of what business? If you are looking for a job it's easy - there are only a narrow set of jobs that you are "qualified" for based on your degree or education. As for being an entrepreneur - there is no formal "qualification" to do anything - and sometimes that means nothing gets done if you don't know where to start. This video helps explain why...

Psychologist Barry Schwartz takes aim at a central tenet of western societies: freedom of choice. In Schwartz's estimation, choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 Comment:

Dale said...

So true Tom! I'm finding this difficulty during my 3 month sabbatical... I've now dropped back to doing one project only, after I had dreams of doing 3 during my time off.

Post a Comment

The Corporatepreneur © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO