If you like this article, tell a friend!      

Thursday, April 23, 2009

One person is seriously derailing my entrepreneurial drive

It's my boss. And it's not what you think...

Last week I had a regular meeting with him. Before I had a chance to start updating him on all of the projects I was working on, he said one sec... and pulled out a sheet of paper with my raise for this year. I wasn't expecting much with this economy, but it was more than I expected. He told me that he thought highly of me and I was doing great work. Now typically you write that off as hot air, but he put his money where his mouth was.

I've worked with this person before. About 5 years ago, I was struggling with the company. When I was called into my previous boss's office, I actually thought that this could be it. But instead they came to talk to me to offer me a "change in scenery" role, with this guy as my new boss. He basically told me from the beginning that he believed in me and didn't care about the previous stuff. In a twist of fate, fast forward 5 years and he became my boss again.

So now I'm thinking, with a boss like that, why can't I just stick around, collect a nice paycheck, and be happy???


Share/Save/Bookmark

4 Comments:

Jason Cohen said...

Because life is more than money.

Because on your deathbed you don't wish you had worked more 9-5 jobs.

Because that nagging feeling isn't going to go away.

Dave said...

Dale, that should make you feel better about leaving because if things don't work out, you have a supporter who would take you back (until the next idea hits).
Reduces some risk while the reward is still high.

Dale said...

I think the answer to this question is it's actually good... I'd be running towards something instead of running away from something.

Brian Weidner said...

This is a classic question. Many full-time small business owners would make more money if they went back to work for a company.

With the failure rate of business ventures, becoming an entreprenuer is not a "smart" decision.

The problem is that for many people, myself included, entreprenuership is in the blood.

There is an unending pull to start businesses and to create something cool. A pull to be on your own. A pull to have your work and ideas truly appreciated by customers. And a pull to have limitless financial reward.

There is no good time to leave a good job, but you must do it in order to pursue something great!

Post a Comment

The Corporatepreneur © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO